Thursday, March 24, 2016

Rationale for my practical response

Within my essay I try and speak of the role of the designer in times of social and political upheaval and the obligation they feel to respond to these issues.

My response must be a clear connection with the activist art and art in response to social and political change I reference within my essay and show the same design techniques and process that have been effective within the theme of propaganda and activism.

Different possible outcomes I feel would be relevant to my essay and the question in hand could be one of the following –

 An like a old propaganda poster with the illustrations and graphic text and the two or three uses of colour. Influenced by some of the activist art throughout history.

I think looking at the creating a small graphical animation with some key principles within graphic design of activist art that are frequent and potent within the design, layout, use of typography and illustrations. 

Creating a publication celebrating and displaying some politically lead art and design, trying to inform the viewers of the power of art in politics and thinking of it as a tool for change.

Making an webpage or online document about the various people that have lost there lives in recent tragedies for example the paris bombings.

Looking at the recent gun deaths in the US of unarmed black people and trying to raise awareness of these issues in the form of a magazine, zine or publication.

I would like to make something of high impact and a interesting context and content. I want to create a really informed piece of work from my key principles of my essay.

As I am looking at examples of work that the designer has created in response to an issue they feel passionately about I think this is something I should then highlight in my own work, looking at political or social issue that I personally feel the obligation to respond to is a great starting point in this project.

I would like to look into the work of the artist Ai WeiWei and his connection with freedom of speech and the use of political art as a tool for promoting change and awareness. His principles of art is that art can change the views and opinions of people and that any artist that doesn't respond to these issues is in some ways abusing their power of communication. I think looking at Ai Wei Wei's work there is a lot of room for expansion and further analysis and will inform some more interesting and in-depth questions in relation to my essay question. 

Thinking about how my practical work may answer the essay question it is all down to how effectively I can communicate these issues to a wide audience, I think creating something that can really be engaged with and used is very important to me in this project.



No comments:

Post a Comment