Thursday, March 24, 2016

Practical explorations NEVER SORRY



The film 'Never Sorry' by Ai Weiwei looks at freedom of expression in China and the strict censorship, shown through a variety of art pieces made by Ai Weiwei and his ongoing battle with the Chinese government. The film is an amazing insight into not only the artists work by also the kind of beliefs and ideas he echoes. For me it really opened my eyes on a subject that I had little or no knowledge on I think this really shows the power of the documentary to captivate and inspire. Ai Weiwei speaks about freedom in the film and how it is so important not only to try and promote freedom but to show the Chinese people in particular that they deserve it. 

There are some brilliant quotes from the film expressing the views of Ai Weiwei in relating to art and politics. "I think there is a responsibility for any artist to protect freedom of expression." I am interesting in this quote as I feel it relates to not only my essay question but also to the kind of things I have been trying to explore in my own work. He speaks of this responsibility of the artist to communicate to its audience on issues they feel passionately about. On top of this another quote I am very interested in is when Ai Weiwei talks about the internet being a tool for communicating  “Blogs and the Internet are great inventions for our time, because they give regular people an opportunity to change public opinion.” With my practical work I think communicated through the internet is one of the best ways of getting my work out there and as Ai Weiwei states inform and change the public opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment